Before I get to my update on the big boys’ room renovation, I have to share a photo of our most recent birthday boy. Yes, our sweet little Jeremiah has reached the big ONE! Isn’t he just adorable? I made his little tie, after waking up in the middle of the night and thinking, “Hmmm, Jeremiah needs a handmade tie with a ‘J’ on it for his first birthday picture.”
Isn’t that what everybody thinks about when they’re awake in the middle of the night? Haha. I used one of the big boys’ ties for a template, and it ended up too wide for the length. I’ll be tweaking and trying again soon. Because, after all, one-year-olds need multiple monogrammed ties. Or something.
We are finally starting to make progress again on the big boys’ bedroom. Our big hold up was getting bed frames and box springs for all 4 of them, since the separated bunk beds we had been using got damaged. It makes me feel so much better to have all their mattresses up off the floor again. That had really been bothering me, although they didn’t seem to care one bit. We salvaged the head boards, and will be painting them and attaching them to the new frames.
Before we can paint, the old finish needs to be roughed up a bit. Of course I gave the boys the privilege of sanding them themselves, which worked out nicely since I didn’t want to do it!
They thought it was great fun. Win-win! Just the kind of arrangement I like!
I didn’t realize until I was sizing these pictures just how badly our porch needs new paint. I’ll add that to the list…
I now have 3 sanded headboards leaning up against the wall in my dining room, and one painted bright green sitting in the foyer. Even after all that sanding, the paint isn’t sticking as well as I’d like on the first one I painted. I think a trip back to Home Depot for some primer is in order. Even though the paint department employee assured me all I needed to do was sand them to “rough them up” a little so the paint would stick.
The boys got to choose their own paint colors. They enjoyed picking out all the paint chip cards and deciding which one matched the fabrics they had chosen for their quilts the best. These colors are BRIGHT! I’m hoping that the room all comes together the way I’m envisioning it. If not, it’s going to look like a crayon box gone awry.
I’ll post pictures once all the headboards are painted and attached to the beds. It’s slow going, but their room WILL be finished someday…hopefully sooner than later!